There are several ways to learn Spanish with Chiquimundo. We run classes where parents are involved, and immersion programmes which are just for kids! Here are our current classes
- Chiquimúsica is for babies and toddlers under 2.5 years old and parents (we can accept slightly older children if you think this class suits your child better - just ask!). In these classes babies, toddlers and parents/caregivers learn Spanish through song, music, movement and simple phrases that can be used at home. Sessions are $92 for one baby and a parent for 8 classes. Receive a 45% discount for two or more children enrolled.
- Chiquiniños is for children 2.5 years to 5 years and an attending parent/caregiver. Children learn with themes that relate to popular literature such as 'La Oruga Muy Hambrienta' (The Very Hungry Caterpillar) . Songs, games, stories, music and a combination of large and fine motor activities are incorporated so children can see, touch, hear and use Spanish! Sessions are $145 for one pre-schooler and a parent. Receive a 45% discount for two or more children enrolled in any programme.
- Chiquichicos is for school-aged children aged 5 - 12 years. The focus in these classes is on children producing more Spanish and using the language as a way of communication. We continue to have fun and we are famous for making these classes as little like school as possible! (No text books or sitting at desks!) Sessions are $145 for one child and a parent. Receive a 45% discount for two or more children enrolled in any programme.
- Chiquipadres are sessions for adults/parents who have an interest in using Spanish to communicate effectively. We generally have a focus on communicating with children/the family but these sessions are open to all adult learners and can be tailored to suit everyone's needs. We run adult courses when we gather enough interest and they are usually run in 4 or 6 week block courses to accommodate everyone's busy schedules.
- Spanish school visits are for students who attend the same school who want to extend their understanding of Spanish language and culture, meet new friends, work towards fluency, enter nation-wide competitions and have fun! Parents do not attend these classes and we accept a slightly higher number of children compared to our Chiquichicos classes.
- Preschool visits are for centres who are interested in extending their programme to incorporate Spanish language and culture. We visit several pre-schools now and offer mat-time sessions where all children and staff learn songs and simple games in Spanish, and 'break-out' sessions where parents of children aged 3 years + opt in for their children to participate in a small learning group with one of our teachers.
- Stay and Play Immersion sessions for pre-schoolers are for children aged 2.5 - 5 years and offer an immersive experience so young ones can quickly pick up the language in a natural home setting. These differ from our parent and child classes as children are dropped off and are able to learn in longer sessions of 4 or 6 hour blocks. At present, while Megan is on maternity leave, Stay and Play is on hold. Please let us know if this is something that interests you and we'll let you know our plans!
- After School Spanish club Our school holiday programmes were very successful at motivating children to speak and have fun in Spanish while they met new friends, played, relaxed and created - we thought 'why not make this a regular option?'. Sessions run from Beach Haven and Bayswater from 3pm - 5:30pm.
These are the most flexible of all our ways to learn. Here's what we offer:
- - Lessons are tailored to you and your group's needs. We don't have a specific workbook we use, but focus on strengths and interests of everyone in the group. This means you won't necessarily start with colours, numbers and the alphabet (boring!), but get stuck in learning about things that excite you and are useful to make Spanish conversation in the real world!
- - Our lessons have a certain flexibility for everyone. If you can't have a lesson one week due to a holiday or illness, just give us at least 24 hours' notice and you won't be charged (it often works out much more economical this way!)
- - Lessons can be held at your place, or at a mutually agreed location, like a public library.
- - Lesson prices are structured in the following way: for 1 - 2 students from the same family (including a parent) it is $50 per lesson, for additional students it is $20 each. So for 3 learners it is $70/hour, for 4 learners $90 etc.
- - Lessons are arranged and paid for in 4 week blocks and you are welcome to continue throughout the school holidays, or not, and take break when it suits you, as long as you let your tutor know.